Foley Freedom Run/Walk exceeds fundraising goal

Students, staff and parents of the American School of Paris gather for the 5K James Foley Freedom Run at the Parc de Saint Cloud on Oct. 14, 2017. Photo by Santiago Dysli.

Santiago Dysli, Staff Writer

By Santiago Dysli
ASPire staff writer

SAINT CLOUD, France — Students, staff and parents ran in the 2nd annual James  W. Foley Freedom Run/Walk on Saturday, Oct.14 in the Parc Domaine National de Saint-Cloud, seeking to raise money to support  American journalists who work in dangerous situations.

Some 58 runners completed the 5K course, raising a total of 1,040 euros, exceeding the goal of 1,000 euros according to Justin Kearns, 9th and 11th grade guidance counselor. Senior James Oliver Lee came in first with a time of 18 minutes and 48 seconds.

The Foley run is organized by the James W. Foley Legacy Foundation. In an act that shocked the world, Foley, a freelance independent journalist, was beheaded by ISIS militants in Syria in August 2014 as a response to American airstrikes in Iraq.

According to the website of the foundation, its mission “is to advocate for the safe return of all Americans detained abroad, to protect independent conflict journalists and to educate regarding these threats to our freedom.”

Maria Colina, 33, an Upper  School English teacher at ASP and Foley’s first cousin, said that money raised by the runs, which take place globally on the same day in October, has already permitted 12 journalists to be trained to safely do their work in conflict zones.

“An example of what the foundation has already done is they ‘ve funded a training program for conflict journalists going into conflict areas, to prepare them for what they’re about to get into,” Colina said.

“Freelance reporters ‘very often don’t have the training that the CNN and the New York Times reporters have,” she added. “They’re just big-hearted kids who think, ‘I want to tell these stories,’ but they don’t have the resources or the know-how for what they’re getting into.”

Click here to see more information on Jim Foley’s life and work and to learn more about the mission of the Foley foundation.

—Featured photo: Students, staff and parents at the American School of Paris gather for the second annual Foley Freedom Run/Walk at the Parc de Saint Cloud on Saturday, Oct. 14, 2017. Photo by Santiago Dysli.